Policy Regarding Town of Cambridge Website
The purpose of the Town of Cambridge Official Web Site is to provide another source of information about the Town’s governmental services. In establishing and maintaining its official Web Site, the Town does not intend in any manner to create a forum or other means by which public discourse, exchange of opinions or discussion on issues of any nature may occur. Rather, the sole and limited purpose of the Official Town Web Site and permitted external links is to provide information of a factual nature about the Town of Cambridge, including various town services and available town resources.
The goal of the Official Web Site is to increase citizen knowledge and participation in Town government by making public information available through electronic access through an official, single point of entry at www.TownofCambridgeVt.org (to be updated if need be).
Confidential information shall not be posted on the Town’s Official Web Site (Vt Public Records Act, 1 VSA SS 315-320). If a user believes that the Town’s Web Site is not protecting his or her privacy, the person should contact the Webmaster, who shall attempt to assess and, if necessary, correct the problems.
Web Site Contents.
The selectboard approves the inclusion of:
- names and contact information (local phone and, if the individual desires, e-mail address) of all elected Town officials
- names and contact information for all chairs of appointive boards and commissions
- names of all members of appointive boards and commissions
- text of all Town ordinances
- text of Town Plan
- text of Town Subdivision Regulations, perhaps draft when proposed and then final after approved
- schedule of meeting dates, times and places for all boards and commissions
- office hours and location for Town Clerk’s Office
- downloadable forms to print off and fill in for town permits
- links to Lamoille Union High School and Middle School, Cambridge Elementary School, State of Vermont, Vermont League of Cities and Towns, Vermont Secretary of State, Lamoille Valley Regional Planning Commission
- all Town public notices
- agendas for Select Board, Planning Commission, Conservation Commission Development Review Board
- minutes for same
- map of the Town of Cambridge
- recycling center location, hours of operation
- links to all nonprofit groups to which Cambridge voters awarded taxpayer funds as a result of an item on the warning of the most recent Town Meeting
- other public information that a Town board, commission, committee, subcommittee or elected or appointed official (such as the Town Clerk, Subdivision Administrator, chair of a committee, etc.) requests to have made available on the Town Web Site or linked to from the Town Web Site. Information shall be provided to the Webmaster in electronic format. The Webmaster shall review the material for technical feasibility to put on the site and for appropriateness. If the Webmaster is in doubt about the material’s appropriateness, the request may be presented to the full Select Board for a decision. Any decision of the Webmaster may be appealed by a Cambridge citizen or public official to the full Select Board.
The Town of Cambridge reserves the right to remove a link to content deemed obscene or inappropriate.
The Town of Cambridge will not provide links to Web sites for:
- candidates for local, state, or federal offices
- political organizations or other organizations or individuals advocating a position on a local, state, or federal issue
- corporate or other for-profit organizations unless they fit any of the criteria stated in the section above
- individual or personal home pages
- chat rooms.
The materials and information contained on or obtained from this Web site are distributed “as is” without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation, warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Information contained on this Web site, including information obtained from external links thereon, is provided without any representation of any kind as to accuracy of content and should be verified by the user. The Town of Cambridge is not responsible for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages that may arise from the use of, or the inability to use, the Web site and / or the materials contained on the site, whether the materials contained on the Web site are provided by the Town of Cambridge, or by a third party. Data contained on the Web site are subject to change without notice.
Adopted by the Cambridge Select Board on April 18, 2011.